Get the foundation you need to be a successful support worker in both community and institutional settings with Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 4th Edition. With a clear student-friendly approach and step-by-step descriptions, this text walks readers through all the information and skills that support workers (including resident care aides and health care aides) need to master to perform their role safely and effectively. Numerous full-colour illustrations, photographs, and tables are combined with real life case studies, examples, and insightful feature boxes to provide an outstanding learning experience. This new edition also features a new chapter on working in acute care; updated content reflecting the latest trends, issues, and practice standards; and a full assortment of online learning resources. With all this included in one great book, it?s no wonder that Mosby?s is the #1 text used by support worker programs across Canada.
- Comprehensive coverage guides readers through all information and skills needed by today?s support worker.
- Student-friendly writing style enables readers to easily grasp the material.
- Providing Compassionate Care boxes highlight the caring aspect of the support worker role.
- DIPPS icons appear throughout the text to remind readers of the principles of support work: respecting and promoting their client?s Dignity, Independence, Preferences, Privacy, and Safety.
- Focus on Communication boxes offer guidelines for how to clearly communicate with residents and avoid comments that might make them uncomfortable.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes emphasize the importance of the patient?s or resident?s safety and comfort.
- Focus on Children and Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information about special needs, considerations, and circumstances of children and older adults.
- Focus on Long-Term Care and Home Care boxes highlight information vital to providing competent care in the long-term and home care settings.
- Teamwork and Time Management boxes feature specific guidelines to help nursing assistants work most efficiently whether independently or as part of the health care team.
- Supporting boxes present scenarios about particular clients and discuss how support workers make decisions and solve problems.
- Think About Safety boxes provide clear, concise, easy-to-follow advice on how to provide safe care to clients of all ages.
- Case Study boxes apply some of the concepts discussed in the text to real-life examples of support workers and clients.
- Focus on Home Care boxes highlight information necessary for safe functioning in the home setting.
- Respecting Diversity boxes cover the influence of culture on health and illness practices and the importance of sensitivity to cultural diversity in support work.
- Chapter review questions test reading comprehension of the learning objectives established at the beginning of each chapter.