A classic text is back with fresh, comprehensive nursing theories, critiques, and philosophies. Nursing Theorists and Their Work, 9th Edition provides you with an in-depth look at 39 theorists of historical, international, and significant importance. This new edition has been updated with an improved writing style, added case studies, critical thinking activities, and in-depth objective critiques of nursing theories that help bridge the gap between theory and application. In addition, the six levels of abstraction (philosophy, conceptual models, grand theory, theory, middle-range theory, and future of nursing theory) are graphically depicted throughout the book to help you understand the context of the various theories.
- Each theorist chapter is written by a scholar specializing in that particular theorist?s work, often having worked closely with the theorists, to provide the most accurate and complete information possible.
- A case study at the end of each theorist chapter puts the theory into a larger perspective, demonstrating how it can be applied to practice.
- Critical Thinking Activities at the end of each theorist chapter help you process the theory presented and apply it to personal and hypothetical practice situations.
- Diagrams for theories help you visualize and better understand inherently abstract concepts.
- A Brief Summary in each theorist chapter helps you review for tests and confirm their comprehension.
- A Major Concepts & Definitions box included in each theorist chapter outlines the theory?s most significant ideas and clarifies content-specific vocabulary.
- Points for Further Study at the end of each chapter directs you to assets available for additional information.
- Quotes from the theorist make each complex theory more memorable.
- An extensive bibliography at the conclusion of each theorist chapter outlines numerous primary and secondary sources of information for further study.
- NEW! Improved writing style and increased use of subheadings make the narrative more concise, direct, and accessible.
- NEW! Updated research and findings incorporate new content along with more examples and clinical correlations.
- NEW! History of Nursing Science chapter emphasizes nursing science updates
- UNIQUE! Graphical depiction of the six levels of abstraction (philosophy, conceptual models, grand theory, theory, middle-range theory, and future of nursing theory) helps you to understand the context of the various theories.